Settled Status UK - Staying in the UK after Brexit

You can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you're:

  • from the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • a family member of someone from the EU, EEA or Switzerland

The EEA includes EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.


You can’t apply to help your family stay in the UK if you were born with both British and Irish nationality - for example, if you were born in Northern Ireland.


You don’t need to be in the UK to apply.


It is worth applying to stay in the UK now. 

After the UK leaves the EU you might be asked to prove your right to do things like get a job or use the NHS. 


You’ll be able to do this by showing you have ‘pre-settled status’ or ‘settled status’ or British citizenship.


You should apply by 31 December 2020 - your rights could change after that date.


Getting your status will prove your right to:

  • stay in the UK for more than 3 months
  • work
  • study
  • use the NHS
  • claim the State Pension
  • rent a home

If the UK leaves the EU with no deal


You’ll only be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you were already living in the UK before it leaves the EU.


If you arrive in the UK after 11pm on the day it leaves the EU, you can stay until 31 December 2020 If you want to stay longer, you’ll need to apply for European temporary leave to remain. 


The government will announce more details about this scheme if the UK leaves the EU without an agreement.


Check what you need to apply for. 


What you need to apply for depends on how long you’ve lived in the UK and if you’ve applied to stay in the UK before.

© School Toolkit. All Rights Reserved. Website and VLE by School Spider